Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Laugh Lines


A wise woman...thinks her laugh lines are beautiful.

When we're little we proudly announce to others that we're 5 3/4 or 9 1/2 years old. I remember enthusiastically telling people I was already the next age if my birthday was close enough.

I was in my thirties when I first started to hear other women complain about turning another year older. I didn't understand it at the time, but figured I must be missing something and would "get it" later on. Well, I'm now enjoying my mid-forites...and find myself still not getting it.

Fact - yes my jaw line, and the rest of my face, seems to be sliding south. Fact - my girlish figure is not so girlish anymore. Fact - when I am getting dressed for an event I think about wearing layers so I won't overheat. Isn't that fantastic! I'm getting older!

Seriously, let's put the ego elements of this topic aside, and get to the most basic question of all. What's the alternative to not aging and being able to celebrate another birthday? You got it!

The reality is, we're all going to go eventually. But does it make sense to live the time we do have, not enjoying where we are in our lives right now? Why are so many of us spending our time wishing we could stop or turn back the clock instead of enjoying the privilege we've been given to be here?

It may sound crazy - but I love my laugh lines, I've earned every one. I love the wisdom that comes with this stage in my life. It brings with it a sense of calm and knowing that I would never trade for my old perky bust or tight tush.

While I am enjoying my forties I'm also looking forward to my 50's, 60's and 70's and beyond. My friends who are there before me report that it gets even better and that they love being where they are in their lives.

My wish for women, is that we intentionally choose to turn a deaf ear to the media that is constantly bombarding us with messages that suggest we should want to be younger. My wish for girls, especially for my own daughters, is that they learn to truly enjoy every stage of their lives.

My wish for us all, is that we make a conscious decision to celebrate our lives.


1 comment:

  1. I'm loving the way you think, Lauri. Loving birthdays, appreciating the moment, cherishing our friends -- these are things/topics that are also very important to me. So you've hooked me! I've now listed your blog in my list of favourites, become one of your followers and have subscribed to your blog. I look forward to many more insights we can discuss and share.

    I hope you'll give my blog a look and return the favour. Would love to have you join my "tribe" at: http://doreenisthewizardofwords.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete