Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Interconnectedness of All Things


A wise woman...intentionally strengthens herself and others.

I remember the exact moment I heard the word Ubuntu for the first time. I was having dinner with a client and we hit the ground running with our conversation. Within a nanosecond or two we were swapping our respective philosophies on life and finding common ground everywhere we looked.

About 20 minutes into our high-spirited dialogue my dinner partner offered the word Ubuntu to sum up his personal philosophical foundation. After noticing the quizzical look on my face he graciously offered a definition. 

He said, "Ubuntu means - I am because of how you are, you are because of how I am. It's a way of seeing the world, recognizing the interconnectedness of all things, and honouring those relationships."

He went on to explain that Ubuntu has many aspects to it. Intrigued and inspired I needed to know more about this new addition to my vocabulary, so I did what I always do when that happens, I consulted "The Google." Here's what I found.

"The word "Ubuntu" (pronounced uu-boon-too) is a traditional African philosophy that offers us an understanding of ourselves in relation to the world. According to Ubuntu, there exists a common bond between us all and it is through this bond, through our interaction with our fellow human beings, that we discover our own human qualities." Source - http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/7-22-2006-103206.asp 

It's amazing to me that one little word can represent something so big.

So, I let the word and its meaning roll around in my brain for awhile to determine  how Ubuntu was represented in my life. Turns out, of course, it exists in every nook and cranny of my world. Whether I consider family, work, community, nation or globe I can see how I am because of how others are, and how others are because of how I am. We are indeed connected, in observable as well as indescribable ways. The actions of one, affect the outcome of all.

So what does that mean for our lives? For me it means that I believe I have a personal accountability to take good care of myself in all ways that matter; mentally, emotionally, physically, spiritually, socially, 'schedule-ly', and educationally... because how I am, affects how you are.

If we support and value the essence of Ubuntu, do we also have a collective responsibility to care for each other? To support and encourage each other? To intentionally look for ways to strengthen and raise each other up?

After reflection I now know that as we approach our seventh year since our inaugural Wise Women's Weekend, it was Ubuntu that was at the very heart of my desire to gather women together for a weekend of learning, sharing and connection to help us understand ourselves better in relation to the world. Back in 2004 I remember thinking, "I already know what I know for now, I want to know what they know." I wanted their wisdom to leverage my journey, discover more about my human qualities as I become the best version of me, and vice versa. 

Ubuntu - I am because of how you are, you are because of how I am. 

Let's continue to gather often and celebrate the power of our connectedness.

Click here to watch a clip of Nelson Mandela explain Ubuntu. 
http://dotsub.com/view/2ff54345-ea2f-492e-b62a-46a04ff2221e

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of Interconnectedness. We included a whole animated short for children on this subject in The Little Earth Charter.

    Thank-you for this post!

    ReplyDelete