Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Gratitude, Ah-Ha Moments & Dancing


A Wise Woman...wants what she has.

All I have to do is turn on the TV, open a magazine, newspaper, look at a billboard or simply tap into the person's mind standing next to me to find one of the zillion "grass is greener" messages that we're bombarded with every day. You know the ones. They're the "your life will be better and you'll finally be happy when you have/do/buy/obtain/find/create this next great thing". If we're not paying attention and being conscious these messages can, in a nanosecond, alter the lens we look at our lives through - and not always for the better.

It happened to me one Sunday morning. I was the first one up so I tip toed to the kitchen - the best place to be in the house to enjoy the morning sun that pours through the windows. I made some coffee, lit a fire in the fireplace to make it nice and cozy, and settled into my favorite chair to enjoy some rare TV time alone. I love weekend mornings at home. After clicking through the channels I finally landed on a home improvement show.  In the next 60 minutes I not only finished two cups of coffee, I also learned that;
  • if we don't have curb appeal we'll be under-living our lives
  • small spaces must be made to look big - because apparently small is bad
  • all the stuff we did to the house last year is...so last year.
By the time I heard the footsteps of the next family member to awaken, I was already mentally moving from room to room making note of all the things that were now wrong with "this place" that only an hour before I was enjoying and had felt so cozy in. How did that happen?

There was the ah-ha moment - the realization that too often I (and I suspect I'm not alone in this) was subconsciously buying into the advertiser's idea of what was right and what would make me happy. And while I'm a huge advocate for improving our lives, both inside and out, it became crystal clear to me that what really makes me happy is allowing myself to be present enough to simply want and enjoy what we have right now, in this moment. 

What a concept. Of course the retail world (who sponsor these programs) isn't keen on me wanting what I have because their goal is to help me become unsatisfied enough to want what they have.

Perhaps the insight here is to enjoy improving or changing ourselves and our surroundings while at the same time choosing to enjoy and want what "is" now.

A Wise Woman Enterprises was created to support women as they pause more often, connect with each other, and celebrate their lives. To want what we have, to appreciate exactly where we are right here, right now, just as things are - is a wonderful way to celebrate our lives.

Enjoy this You Tube video of The Gratitude Dance which was created by 'The Gratidudes' in of moment of celebration at a coffee shop in Victoria, BC, Canada while writing their book about Manifesting Awesomeness. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9z2ELaBVJY


1 comment:

  1. hello Lauri. This is a great post. Thank you for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete